Through the Looking Glass is looking for a Family Clinician for its clinical programs. TLG is a Berkeley based and internationally recognized program serving children and families with disabilities. Bilingual Spanish speaking strongly preferred, experience with disability, EPSDT, Early Childhood Mental Health Consulting or bilingual ASL preferred.
Title: Family Clinician – Bilingual Spanish Preferred
Employment type: Full-time, 40 hours a week
Program: EPSDT and other Clinical Programs
Reports To: Clinical Supervisor
Benefits: TLG offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical and dental insurance, paid time off, paid holidays, long-term disability, and life insurance
Through the Looking Glass Family Clinicians provide primarily in-home family therapy, infant-parent therapy and individual therapy to children and families where either a caregiver, or a child has a disability. We use infant mental health, developmental, and systems models. We take a strength-based, non-pathologizing approach to working with families. We focus on supporting positive and healthy relationships between caregiver and children, helping families achieve their personal goals. When indicated we also support families with case management, support them in navigating systems, and assist in obtaining needed resources. Clinicians may have the opportunity to work collaboratively with a developmental specialist and/or a family partner. Some clinicians may have an opportunity to provide consultation to a Head Start program or facilitate a parent/child playgroup. Typical caseloads are relatively small with clinicians carrying about 12 families.
TLG provides weekly reflective supervision and weekly training to all clinical staff. Trainings focus on infant mental health, working with disabilities and other topics. We try to be a very supportive and flexible work environment, in which supervisors and peers provide reciprocal support and consultation.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
* Graduate or professional degree in social work, psychology or other relevant field. Minimum MA or MSW.
* Experience working with children and families, especially children 0-5. Previous experience in programs serving children and families with disabilities and/or personal/ family disability experience strongly preferred. Knowledge of infant/child development. Expertise regarding infant/parent relationships. Expertise in intervention with families. Experience with EPSDT strongly preferred.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
* Assess and diagnose children using Medi-Cal Managed Care criteria for diagnoses, impairment and intervention
* Provide clinical intervention (home-based when possible) for children and families.
* Support quality interaction and relationships between infants or children and parents
* Provide individual, infant/parent, family, and group therapy
* Perform all necessary record-keeping, including intake, progress notes, treatment plans and reports in a timely manner
* Coordinate with other service providers as appropriate
* Drive to family home and provide in home clinical services.
* Provide support in parent /child interaction that encourages developmentally appropriate activities for the changing needs of infants and toddlers.
* Maintain confidentiality with respect to information and records concerning children, families and staff in compliance with HIPAA standards.
* Some positions may require experience with early childhood mental health consultation, and ability to provide early childhood mental health consultation to Early Head Start or Head Start Centers.
* Other duties as assigned.
LANGUAGE SKILLS: Bilingual, bi-literate English/Spanish strongly preferred; ASL also very desirable. For Bilingual position, ability to perform psychotherapy in Spanish is required.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations, etc.:
* One of the following is required:
* California Clinical licensure (Licensed Marriage and Family Therapist , Licensed Clinical Social Worker, Licensed Professional Clinical Counselor, Psychologist, or Registered Nurse with mental health training and certification)
* Registered MFT or LPCC Intern, Associate Social Worker , Registered Psychologist, or otherwise waivered or waiverable
* Possession of a valid California driver’s license and current personal vehicle insurance are required. Job requires the use of personal vehicle in successful completion of job duties and responsibilities.
* State regulations require a physical examination, current tuberculosis test, and verified fingerprint and criminal records clearance before beginning work.
Through the Looking Glass is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Visit our website for more information about TLG: www.lookingglass.org
To apply please fax or email your resume and cover letter to TLG (no phone calls please)
Contact: Russell Hendlin, Director of Medi-Cal Services
Re: Family Clinician
Through the Looking Glass
Fax: (510) 848-4445
CELEBRATING 34 YEARS OF SERVICE TO THE DISABILITY COMMUNITY
Through the Looking Glass (TLG) is a disability and Deaf community-based nonprofit organization in Berkeley, California. TLG has pioneered clinical and supportive services, as well as national training and research serving families in which one or more members – whether parent or child - has a disability or medical issue. Since founding in 1982 TLG has provided infant mental health or infant/parent /family therapy and relationship-based developmental services. TLG’s mission is: To create, demonstrate and encourage non-pathological and empowering resources and model early intervention services for families with disability issues in parent or child which integrate expertise derived from personal disability experience and disability culture. TLG’s staff includes culturally and linguistically diverse psychologists, marriage and family therapists, social workers, developmental specialists, occupational therapists, researchers, a family law attorney, a nurse, a childbirth educator and early childhood educators. TLG is federally funded as the National Center for Parents with Disabilities and their Families, conducting research, training, and technical assistance.
Keywords: MFT, LCSW, PhD, PsyD, ASW, LPHA, RN, psychologist, clinician, social worker, therapist, infant mental health, bilingual, Spanish, Early Childhood Education Consultation, ASL